Isn’t it crazy how quickly Zoom has become a part of everyday life in the business world? Just as easily as we used to say, “I have a call at 2 PM,” we now say we have a Zoom. It’s a useful technology for screen sharing, reviewing presentations, and facilitating remote work… but is it the right choice when hosting an event?
Here’s a few pointers to help you know if Zoom is enough or if you need a more robust Event Platform
When Zoom Is a Good Event Resource:
- It’s an internal event or meeting (like a quarterly financial review).
- Your audience is small and doesn’t have a lot of tech access or requirements.
- You need to be able to give the same presentation multiple times to different audiences without adding more expense (such as trainings in different languages).
- The event or meeting is occurring with little or no advance notice.
What Zoom Lacks:
- Built-in free tools for collecting data and metrics on guests and their preferences.
- Ways to effectively collaborate in the same space virtually (such as multiple people sharing notes on a single shared screen or document).
- Limited opportunities for customized branding.
- Weak privacy and security controls can lead to data being compromised or shared/collected in unwanted ways.
- Seamless integration with CRMs, entertainment, and cross-platform functionality
When Event Platforms Are a Better Choice:
- For larger audiences with substantial bandwidth needs – No one likes a video or audio lag
- When confidentiality or cybersecurity are essential. Many large corporations have prohibited the use of Zoom within their organizations.
- When online discussions need to happen over the course of several sessions or several hours.
- For concept testing and interactive training modules.
- If metrics are key to evaluating event success.
- To provide ongoing touchpoints from event registration, pre-event updates, the event itself, and post-event communications.
- Large-group settings where smaller networking sessions are preferred.
- When integrated entertainment, games, and engagement are needed.
Still uncertain what works best for you? Ask VIBE. Not only do we have extensive experience in navigating various online platforms, we can help you match one to your budget, timing, and objectives.
About the VIBE Agency: The VIBE Agency is a Miami-based award-winning full-service production agency that specializes in the creation and orchestration of live and virtual experiences for the corporate industry. The agency is forward-thinking and was recognized as one of the 50 top event companies by Special Events magazine in 2019 and 2020. Most recently, Valerie Bihet, founder of the VIBE was named a Smart Women in Meetings 2021 Hall of Fame honoree by Smartmeetings, for her consistent work advancing the industry. If it can’t be live, make it VIBE!